Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Callum vying for cup spot

30 October 2012

Defensive pair could be in the squad for FA Cup tie

Callum McNaughton and Mat Mitchel-King are in the running to make the squad for Saturday’s FA Cup tie at York City after they both featured in yesterday’s development match at Barnet.

The defensive pair both featured in a 2-1 defeat for the Dons and it was a welcome return in particular for 20-year-old Callum, who has been sidelined for over six months with an anterior cruciate ligament injury to his knee.

Speaking to Dons Player, assistant manager Neil Cox said: “Callum came back for the first time after six months out and managed to play 55 minutes. He did not look rusty, but looked sharp and strong. Callum put in some good challenges, and we expected that after what we have heard about him. Mat Mitchel-King also played for 55 minutes and gave a good performance. They were both only meant to play for 45 minutes, but they have both been working hard with Jason Moriarty (fitness coach) and we were pleased with both of them.

“One or both of them will probably be in the squad for the FA Cup match at York City. We will just have to see how the next couple of days go and see if they come through everything all right.”

Emmanuel Akhokia scored for the Dons in the development match at Barnet in what was a very useful exercise for the Wimbledon management team to also take a look at the youngsters.

“Frankie Merrifield, Huw Johnson and a few of the other young boys played and we needed to have a look at them,” Neil added. “We have not really had time to do that, apart from in training, and it was good for me to go along with Simon Bassey and see the young boys that we have at the club and the players we have to work with.”

The full video interview with Neil Cox can be viewed on Dons Player and tomorrow we will feature an interview with our top goalscorer Byron Harrison. See the official website tomorrow for more insight from Neil Cox as the Dons prepare for Saturday’s FA Cup first round tie at York City.

Advertisement block