Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Interviews

Paul McCallum interview

13 January 2013

West Ham striker on his Dons loan spell

Paul McCallum admitted he would relish an extended loan spell at Wimbledon after the striker created a much more favourable impression than the last time he was at the club.

The 19-year-old made it four goals in five games with an impressive double against Wycombe Wanderers yesterday, but he revealed afterwards that a previous trial spell with Wimbledon never quite went so well.

Speaking to Rob Cornell on Dons Player, Paul said: “I was playing at my local Sunday League team Wallington when I was about 15 and a scout asked me to come down to Wimbledon. I attended training at Tolworth, but I was told not to come back in the end.

“If I am not in the plans at West Ham now, and I do not think I am because they have just signed two strikers, then I would gladly stay here longer if the gaffer wants me.”

Paul unsurprisingly received the man of the match award for his display against Wycombe, but the striker was far from satisfied because it was not enough to make it three wins on the bounce for Wimbledon.

“We dominated the match from the start, but a couple of chances did not go in for us and also a couple of good opportunities that I had,” he added. “We kept our heads up after they scored early on and played really well. I missed a great chance when I took it around the goalkeeper and I should have hit the target from there. The longer we went without scoring at the start of the second-half, the more chance there was of us conceding and it was frustrating for us in the end.”

Paul’s current loan spell with AFC Wimbledon is due to expire on 19 January.

To view the full video interview with the striker, who signed a new two-and-a-half year contract with West Ham last week, visit Dons Player.

 


Advertisement block