Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Your Wimbledon memories

1 March 2013

Supporters select their first matches to mark anniversary

Starting from Wimbledon’s FA Amateur Cup tie against Walthamstow Avenue in 1961 and ending with Tuesday night’s draw against Plymouth, Dons supporters have been quick to share their first match memories with us.

anniversary celebrations, we asked supporters to send in memories of the first Wimbledon match they attended by letting us know via Twitter and e-mail.thAs part of the Football League’s 125

Twitter account that his first Wimbledon match was particularly memorable, but not for footballing reasons! It was 22 December, 1997, and Wimbledon were hosting Arsenal in a Premier League match at Selhurst Park, but 13 minutes into the second-half the lights went out Referee Dermot Gallagher eventually abandoned the match after the lights came back on, but failed again.@That_Neary_XODayle Neary told us via his

Twitter page. Alan Cork (pictured above celebrating Wimbledon's 1988 FA Cup winner against Liverpool) showed just why he became such a favourite with the Dons fans in Marc’s first match when he scored twice in a 2-0 win against Swindon Town at Plough Lane on 13 October, 1979.@daysofspeedMarc Jones, one of AFC Wimbledon’s founder members, shared his memories of his first Wimbledon match via his

Twitter account that his first match was also a victory against The Robins, Wimbledon this time beating Swindon 3-0 on 6 November, 1993. Gary Elkins, Dean Holdsworth and Gary Blissett struck the goals.@AdamPHarwoodAdam Harwood, who currently reports on AFC Wimbledon matches for the London24 website, tweeted from his

, a New York-based Wimbledon supporter, sent in via e-mail to tell us all about the first Wimbledon match he attended, which was Wimbledon versus Middlesbrough at Selhurst Park in an FA Cup replay at Selhurst Park on 13 February, 2001. It was a match when current AFC Wimbledon manager Neal Ardley struck the equaliser from the penalty spot and Jason Euell struck a double in extra-time to earn a 3-1 win.Arvin Nundloll

Arvin, who works as a senior copywriter in “The Big Apple” recalled: “Patrick ‘Wu-Tang’ Agyemang nearly scored the winner and the atmosphere was unlike anything I expected. Suffice to say I caught the Wimbledon bug and continued to attend as many games as I could before relocating to New York in 2011. I still fly over for two or three games a year, most recently the Milton Keynes and Oxford games.”

attended his first Wimbledon match as Sheffield Wednesday were swept aside 4-2 at Selhurst Park with goals from Efan Ekoku, Robbie Earle, Oyvind Leonhardsen and Vinnie Jones on 12 October, 1996.@EdHewisonThe Dons were in rampant form when

“The 1-1 draw against Plymouth. Baltic it was!”  first Dons match. He simply tweeted the following message from his @CaribProperty Twitter account: Alexander Gray’sWimbledon’s most recent match against Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday, a 1-1 draw, was

.Historical Dons first visit to Plough Lane when Wimbledon hosted Walthamstow Avenue in the FA Amateur Cup. First published on the Historical Dons site, Alan recalled that the Dons had swept into the last-eight by beating Whitley Bay 6-1, but their run was to end in front of 10,000 fans at Plough Lane. Alan sent in by his e-mail his memories of that day, which can be viewed in full by clicking on  Alan Young’sHowever, we end this round-up of your Wimbledon memories by looking back to 11 March, 1961, and

Alan recalled: “I was taken by a family friend. A big crowd was expected and we arrived early – I remember that we parked in Gap Road. Admission cost 9d (4p) for boys and the programme cost 4d (2d). We wanted to go in the South Stand and there was a charge for transfer from the ground.

"We had a long wait and uncomfortable sitting on those hard wooden benches. We were near the centre line. I looked out to the left where you could see the spire of St Mary's Church. Then I watched the ground gradually fill up – the covered Durnsford Road end, the open Wandle end, the main stand opposite with its privet hedge in front, and the paddock below us. In the end there were, I think, over 10,000 in the ground. 

"At last the teams came out. Wimbledon in their royal blue shirts with white trimmings, white shorts and socks ( the yellow came much later) led by Roy Law. Others in the side included Mike Kelly in goal, John Martin, Brian Martin and, of course, Eddie Reynolds.

"Of the match itself I remember little except that a second half goal gave victory to the visitors and the Cup dream was over for another year. Maybe the three matches against Whitley Bay took their toll.” 

Advertisement block