Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Callum salutes strike duo

13 July 2015

Left-back rates Tom highly

Callum Kennedy believes that the addition of Tom Elliott will add an extra dimension to AFC Wimbledon’s attacking play next season.

New signing Elliott (pictured) caused plenty of problems against Premier League Watford on Saturday and Kennedy reckons that is a sign of things to come when the season proper starts.

Speaking during an interview with Rob Cornell for Dons Player, Kennedy said: “Tom showed that he is a really good player and long may that continue. Everyone could see that Tom and Bayo up front will be a real handful. I don’t think there are many players in the league that will want to come up against those two in terms of their physicality. I really enjoyed having Tom on my side. We had worked hard in training on the best way to utilise our two up front.

“It was our first game and we wanted to put into practice things that we had been working on in training. As we were playing a new formation, we worked on quite a lot of stuff without the ball, but also on our attacking threat. It was really enjoyable and I think we all took something out of the game.

"Sometimes pre-season games can be a little false, but it was not as if they had a second string side out and they were always going to be hungry as they are going into the Premier League. I think we did really well, but there are things for us to work on and we will go away and get them right.”

The Dons will select a strong squad for Basingstoke tomorrow night with Neal Ardley planning to give some players an hour.

Rising talents will continue to get their opportunities, including 17-year-old Christian Toonga, who earned praise from Neal Ardley for his performance against Watford.

“Christian is only a second year apprentice in terms of his age, but I thought he put in a really accomplished performance,” said Neal. “We did brilliantly to get Christian here and I was delighted with him.

“We will start to get it where it needs to be in terms of the first-team boys. We will have an 18-man first-team squad for the season with the Under-21 players looking to push on.”

The full interview with Callum Kennedy features on Dons Player, along with an interview with George Francomb.


Advertisement block