Response to media headlines
The club has released the following statement in response to recent media headlines about child abuse in football.
“As a community-owned football club we, and our charity, the AFC Wimbledon Foundation, are acutely aware of our responsibility to ensure we provide a secure and safe environment at all times for the hundreds of young people and children who play in our teams and participate in our community activities.
The Foundation is subject to annual review by the EFL as well as specific reporting requirements relating to child welfare which are required by the Charities Commission. Football League for our Academy. “This commitment is reflected in our strict adherence to ‘best practice’ procedures in the recruitment, training and monitoring of coaches and staff working with the young people and children entrusted into our care, all aspects of which are subject to regular reviews by independent auditors and the English
“Some of the initiatives we undertake include:
• Thorough checks into the backgrounds of all coaches and volunteer staff seeking employment, including use of the Disclosure and Barring service;
• Their signed commitment to adhere at all times to our strict Code of Conduct;
• A probationary period during which their behaviour and suitability are monitored closely, backed thereafter by regular performance reviews;
• The holding of regular ‘Child protection workshops’ to ensure our staff are educated about best practice;
• The provision of a dedicated and confidential telephone number for young people, parents and the public to report anything of concern.
section of the club’s official websiteAcademy“For a full description of our approach, see ‘AFC Wimbledon Safeguarding Policy’ in the
“Although we are confident that our approach is effective we are not in any sense complacent and so, in the light of this latest scandal, we have launched a review to see if any further safeguards should be added.
”This will be completed by a working group led by the Club’s Operations Director, David Charles.”