Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young Dons gear up for Madrid test with victory

First-half goal from Tyler Burey enough to see off host club

9 August 2017

The young Dons delivered a timely, improved display in the second match of their Spanish tour, ahead of their final game against the youth side of European giants Atletico Madrid.

Following defeat at the weekend to CD Leganes, the under-18s beat host club AD Alcorcon 1-0 after a first-half goal from the lively Tyler Burey.

Afterwards, Academy Head of Football Mark Robinson said: "It was not a great performance, but we did have many more good moments than we did against Leganes.

“However, the most important thing at this stage of the season was that my assistant James (Oliver-Pearce) and I felt like we were in charge of a Wimbledon side and that was not the case on Saturday. It was quite clear how much the lads wanted a positive result. The finer details and the fluent football will come - if they continue to listen and conduct themselves properly. 

“I made sure nobody got more than 70 minutes and five of the lads only got 45 as we face Atletico Madrid tonight. We have been told by many people that their under-18 side is the best in Spain, so I am looking forward to seeing how we perform,” said Mark.

It was the Alcorcon who started brightly in the first ten minutes, moving the ball quickly and pressing the Dons. Goalkeeper Edward Ogbebor-Onaiwu had to make a good save in the eighth minute, collecting a fierce strike from 20 yards at the second attempt.

Gradually the Dons eased their way into the game and started to put some good passing moves together. Great Evans had a good attempt on 16 minutes and Tyler Burey and Reece Weekes both had half chances. With the Dons looking more secure at the back, with Tom Scott and man-of-the-match Osaze Urhoghide in good form, they took control for the last twenty minutes.

The young Dons won a succession of corners with Ethan Nelson Roberts and Dylan Hersey particularly effective as wing backs. On 32 minutes, they took the lead when Weekes released Burey and although his first touch looked to have left the ball beyond him, his pace saw him poke the ball before the keeper could get to it and allowed him to finish off from ten yards with his next touch.

The Dons finished the half strongly looking the more threatening side. The second half started well for Wimbledon as their passing improved, but their approach play in the final third often let them down. This led to Alcorcon mounting quick counter attacks and the Dons having to work hard to recover.

Chances then became very limited with Alcorcon’s best attempts coming from dangerous crosses, whilst the effective Donte Lodge-Francis had the Dons best opportunity in the second half.

One goal proved to be enough though as the tourists ran out worthy winners in front of a healthy crowd including Dons Trust member Alvara Perez, who is pictured proudly wearing his blue, Admiral home shirt with the squad after travelling well over an hour to the game from his home in Spain.

Pic Credit: LFEonline.

Advertisement block