Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon v Coventry City

14 February 2017

Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon v Coventry City

14 February 2017

Robbo rescues the Dons

Paul Robinson lashed home in injury time to extend Wimbledon's unbeaten home league run to seven games.

Bottom of the table Coventry had looked set to claim all three points, with a second half goal from substitute Jodi Jones.

George Francomb retained his place at right back, in place of injured captain Barry Fuller. Dannie Bulman came back into midfield, with Andy Barcham coming into the starting line-up with Tom Elliott suspended.

Robinson wore the captain's arm band. David Fitzpatrick, back from a successful loan spell at National League Torquay United, was named among the substitutes.

The Dons eventually settled on the ball after a scrappy opening ten minutes, as they looked to find the pace of Dom Poleon up front. The opening quarter of an hour was largely unspectacular though.

It took until the eighteenth minute for the first meaningful effort on goal as George Thomas found himself one-on-one with James Shea, but the Dons keeper beat the ball away. The visitors then forced a succession of corners, at last testing the Wimbledon backline.

It took until after the midway point of the first half for the Dons to respond. New signing Tom Soares forced a save out of Lee Burge in the Coventry goal, with 26 minutes gone after good build-up play, with Poleon and Barcham starting to ask questions of the Coventry defence. Robinson headed over from the resultant corner.

The game started to turn Wimbledon's way as they forced Coventry back, using their pace on the half hour. It was clear though that Coventry had come to work hard for anything they could take back to the Midlands, limiting Dons opportunities with half time approaching.

Burge denied Reeves a chance, but the referee wasn't interested in awarding anything Wimbledon's way. The Dons continued to move the ball forward quickly, but were met with steely resistance.

Francomb delivered a free-kick from the edge of the area in time added on, which Robinson attempted to get on the end of, but both sides went in goalless at the break.

Fitzpatrick was introduced at the start of the second half, with Bulman taken off, as Wimbledon looked to make the breakthrough. The Dons made a positive start, pinning the Sky Blues back, as the change in formation started to take effect.

On the hour, Lyle Taylor headed over the crossbar from a free-kick, after Fitzpatrick was brought down outside the box. Coventry then introduced experienced former Everton striker Yakubu for his debut in front of a crowd of 4,022.

Approaching the midway point of the half, the Dons were still striving to open the scoring as Russell Slade's side scrapped for their League One lives.

Jodi Jones was introduced with twenty minutes to go for Coventry, he proved to be effective as shortly after he beat Shea from just inside the box with an angled shot for the game's opening goal.

Just before the goal, Wimbledon were warming up the physical presence of Tyrone Barnett and George Oakley to bolster the front line and they were immediately thrust into action. Taylor and Poleon made way.

In time added on, Robinson (pictured celebrating) smashed home the equaliser to the delight of the Chemflow End as he led the Dons to a point.

AFC Wimbledon: Shea Kelly Robinson Robertson Francomb Bulman (Fitzpatrick) Reeves Soares Barcham Poleon (Oakley) Taylor (Barnett).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account