AFC Wimbledon will make the short trip to Hampton and Richmond for a pre-season friendly on Saturday, July 27 (3pm kick off).
The meeting between the two clubs will bring back memories for many Dons fans of a historic match at the Beveree Stadium 10 years ago. Our 1-1 draw on April 18, 2009 all but wrapped up the Conference South title and promotion to non-league's top flight following Jon Main's late second-half equaliser (our fans are shown celebrating on the pitch at Hampton).
Former Dons Seb Brown, Tom Beere, Brendan Kiernan, Christian Jolley and more recently Ricky Wellard all went on to play for the Middlesex club in the years that followed our jubilant scenes on the pitch at Beveree after the final whistle. Under the guidance of Gary McCann, Hampton and Richmond finished 15th in National League South last season and reached the first round proper of the FA Cup where they bowed out 2-1 at home to Oldham Athletic.
The game becomes the seventh warm-up match arranged for Wally's squad, ahead of the 2019-20 campaign.
Our list of confirmed pre-season friendlies is as follows -
- 5 July (7.45 pm kick-off) - Brentford at home
- 9 July (7.45 pm kick-off) – Bristol City at home
- 12 July (7.00 pm kick-off German time) - Kaiserslautern away
- 13 July (3.00 pm kick-off German time) – Kickers Offenbach away
- 23 July (7.45 pm kick-off) – Met Police away
- 27 July (3.00 pm kick-off) - Hampton and Richmond away
- 30 July (7.45 pm kick-off) – Crystal Palace at home