Our revival in form under Glyn Hodges maybe down to the luck of the Irish, with an ever-so-slight connection to the Emerald Isle!
“We’re just about Irish! Shane was born in America and I was born here,” said Callum Reilly. “Shane played soccer in The Bronx! He doesn’t remember it, he doesn’t remember being there! He left when he was one! Shane was too small to play basketball!”
Callum and Shane McLoughlin spoke about their Irish connection, in the latest of our “Extra-time” series of interviews, where we find out much more about the current Wimbledon squad.
The pair, who have both represented Ireland at youth level, have played important roles in our attempt to escape from the drop-zone and they excelled in front of our camera too!
With a quarter of an hour of chat and entertaining stories from our training base, the subjects Shane and Callum spoke about included:
- Callum returning to where he grew up for a school awards evening recently
- How they got into football and playing for their country
- Their awareness of our story as a club and their contributions
- What life is like at home for Shane with Rod McDonald, having previously shared with Dylan Connolly and Ryan Delaney
- Some interesting revelations from around the squad, including an update on the best and worst initiation songs!
- Their personal aims for 2020 and helping Wimbledon return to Plough Lane
You can see the full fifteen minute feature with Shane McLoughlin and Callum Reilly below, via the link to our official YouTube channel.