John Scales has thrown his weight behind a campaign by our Foundation and Nelson Health Centre to support community health.
A member of the 1988 FA Cup winning squad, John was back at our spiritual home in Plough Lane to spread awareness about the health and well-being services available to help families and residents across Merton.
Our Foundation have teamed up to support community health with the Nelson Health Centre, based in Kingston Road, Wimbledon, which plays a vital role in supporting community health with facilities including:
- GP surgeries
- mental health services
- minor surgery facilities
- support services for older people
- a range of specialist outpatient clinics
Our Foundation deliver vital community-based activities and initiatives, with a range of weekly health and wellbeing sessions on offer to local residents of all ages.
To help spread awareness, John Scales featured alongside Foundation and medical staff in videos, as follows:
- Men’s Health - With advice on some key health issues for men to look ok for, and what services are available to help at The Nelson Health Centre and in the local area.
- Post-COVID support - With details on some of the local health, social care and community services available to help local residents in the recovery from the pandemic.
- Keeping Fit and Active - With details on some of the fitness and wellbeing sessions offered to local residents by AFC Wimbledon, and some of the healthy eating, mobility and weight loss services and advice on offer at The Nelson Health Centre.
The videos will be shown at AFC Wimbledon’s ‘Family Fun Day’ on Sunday. For further details on this event, visit https://donslocalaction.org/family-fun-day/ .
The Nelson Health Centre, built in 2015, was delivered by South West London Health and Care Partnerships including Fulcrum - a leading investor in community health – whose CEO Sarah Beaumont-Smith said: “We are delighted to club together for community health with AFC Wimbledon and to highlight the vital facilities The Nelson Health Centre has to offer. At such an important time for community health, these new videos set out the many services and activities available to fans and local residents to support their wellbeing.”
Fiona Sutherland, our Foundation's Community Development Manager, added: “AFC Wimbledon Foundation is excited to be partnering with the Nelson Health Centre to help increase the health and well-being of football fans and local residents alike. Working hand in hand to showcase the services that the Foundation and the Nelson provide is a win win situation for all residents in Merton.”